Posted in: Dec 28,2019|
Winter is when cases of carbon monoxide poisoning increase. That’s because this is the time of the year, when heaters and other appliances are used extensively, increasing the risks of accumulation of these toxic fumes and the threat of exposure to persons in the vicinity.
Carbon monoxide is one of the deadliest gases, and can cause death within minutes. The biggest danger is that the gas is so difficult to detect. It is a colorless, odorless gas, which makes it virtually impossible to detect without using specific equipment.
Winter is when the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure in Indianapolis and across Indiana significantly increase, as heating systems run for hours together. Furnaces, kerosene heaters, lanterns, stoves and portable generators can also cause accumulation of carbon monoxide fumes, especially when these are operated in closed. confined spaces with no options for the gas to dissipate. Burning of charcoal-fired stoves or wood-fired stoves can also cause accumulation of these gases. Because the gas is odorless and colorless, a person may not even be aware that he is inhaling the fumes until it is too late.
The Centers for Disease control and prevention estimates that more than 400 people die every year in the United States as a result of carbon monoxide positing. More than 50,000 suffer injuries that are severe enough for them to be rushed to the emergency room after carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide detectors are an absolute must in Indianapolis homes, because these help to detect fumes and alert residents to the dangers of poisoning before it is too late. Carbon monoxide detectors use flashing lights or audible sounds to warn about high levels of carbon monoxide in the environment. Most carbon monoxide detectors that use an audible alerting mechanism emit a beeping sound, although the frequency of beeps may vary from model to demo.
However, if your detector is only making chirping sounds, it could indicate that your alarm is faulty or malfunctioning, and must be replaced immediately. Remember, a faulty carbon monoxide detector is worse than not having an alert system at all. The chirping could indicate low battery. It could also indicate malfunctioning parts or internal errors. A detector with a digital display is a great feature because it gives you access to additional information.
Remember, smoke alarms do not make great carbon monoxide detours. Many people tend to use smoke alarms as carbon monoxide detectors. This could be a mistake. For one thing, smoke alarms tend to be placed on ceilings. That is not typically the best place for an alarm to detect carbon monoxide fumes.
Make sure that your carbon monoxide detectors are in good shape this winter.